Clet Hall, the first building erected after purchase of the campus in 1856, was constructed in 1862 to house Our Lady of Angels Seminary, the institution that was the forerunner of Niagara University. The building is named for Francis Regis Clet, a Frenchman who served as a Vincentian missionary in China for the last 30 years of his life (1748-1820). He was martyred during an anti-Christian prosecution, and was beatified in 1900.
The multi-use complex now serves as a residence hall and buffet-style dining commons, while also housing the spectacular Leary Theatre and the new Elizabeth Ann Clune Centre for Theatre. Clet Hall is a particularly popular residence hall for theatre majors, but is open to all students.
The wing of Clet Hall that primarily serves as a student residence is namedMarillac Hall, named for St. Louise de Marillac, D.C. (1591-1660), co-founder with St. Vincent de Paul of the Daughters of Charity. She was canonized in 1934 and proclaimed the patron saint of all Christian social workers in 1960.
Opposite Marillac Hall is Laboure Hall, home to the university's theatre department. The wing is named for St. Catherine Laboure, D.C. (1806-1876), who had a series of five apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The design for the miraculous medal resulted from those apparitions. She was canonized in 1947.