The 20,000-square-foot Russell J. Salvatore Dining Commons underwent an $8 million renovation and expansion, beginning April 11, 2016. The facility reopened to students in the fall of 2016, and its expanded seating area and outdoor patio were completed in January 2017.
Niagara University’s enhanced dining facility features presentation-style cooking and a variety of seating options, bold colors and design elements that create an inviting environment for students to gather. Additional amenities include:
- An open kitchen concept with new food preparation and serving areas.
- New seating options, including banquette/booth seating, a mix of round, rectangular and square tables and chairs, lounge seating within the dining area, and high-top tables and stool seating.
- A new addition with seating for 230 for sit-down dining. The addition can also be used in a theatre-style setup for 250, with a projector and presentation screen.
- Mobile device charging stations, and digital televisions and displays.
- Focused on energy efficiency, the facility features new rooftop units, kitchen equipment and a dishwashing machine, all of which reduce utility expenses.
A new patio with green space, patio-style tables and chairs, flowering planters, and a rain barrel to support 875 square feet of green space for container plantings of herbs and native plants.